Have you ever wanted to design your own cabinet? Ever wondered about the process? As a custom cabinet designer, we can create just about anything and we wanted to give you a sample of the experience! If you’re in the mood to get crafty and creative, this blog is for you.
1.) What Type of Cabinet Are We Making For You?
Do you want a custom kitchen cabinet? A custom cabinet for your laundry room or pantry? Do you need a custom pull out a drawer or a custom cabinet that serves as a wardrobe?
There are a lot of options, so here’s a list.
Check what types of cabinets you’re dreaming of!
- Custom kitchen cabinets
- Custom bathroom cabinets
- Custom media center
- Custom armoire
- Custom Pantry
- Custom mudroom cubbies
- Custom storage solutions
2.) Sizing Goals
Now that you’ve decided what type of cabinet (or cabinets!) you need, we’ll have to talk about your goals for it.
If you’re looking for storage solutions for things like dishes, cups, and plates you may want them to be higher off the ground or closer to your countertops. If you’re looking for a custom laundry room pantry will it store laundry detergent and things like dog food, spare blankets, and more? With a custom entertainment center, are you hoping to have carved spots for a surround sound system?
There are a lot of sizing goals to consider, so here are some general fill-in-the-blank-questions that will help us build your cabinetry.
- How many shelves would you like? ________
- Will this cabinet connect to others or stand alone? ________
- How many items are you hoping to store? ________
- Will you want pull out drawers, sliders, standard doors, multiple? ________
- Will any large items be stored in this like a TV or kitchen appliances? If so, what? ________
3.) Wood Type
When it comes to the, you may already have an idea, or you may not! Below we have a few of the most common wood types with a brief explanation of why they’re unique or favored. Check which one you want your custom cabinets to be made out of!
- Cherry – A luxury wood with that rich, warming color.
- Hickory – Extremely durable wood that holds up well against scratches.
- Oak – A sturdy domestic wood with random grain pattern variations.
- Maple – Another durable and solid wood type that has a natural light color.
- Birch – A light wood with simple patterns.
- Ash – Another sturdy domestic wood. Ash is clean and often has even grains.
- White Oak – Incredibly durable and almost impervious to water.
- Red Oak – Durable, classic grain that always finishes smooth.
- Walnut – Lot of variation to keep a variety.
- Mahogany – Highly resistant to rot, termites, and mold.
The type of wood your cabinets are made out of matters when it comes to feel, durability, and look. As a custom cabinet maker, we’ll be sure to help find the right one for your home!
When people start thinking of investing in custom cabinets, color is one of the first things that comes to mind. In the woodworking industry, we often call color stain. The stain is applied to alter the color, shade, or tone of your piece.
Of course, you want custom cabinets that match your kitchen color, but you also have to be mindful of the wood type you choose. Some woods are beautiful without a layer of paint, while others look wonderful with a new shade.
Below we have some common color options for cabinet stains, but not every stain is available for every type of wood.
- Cocoa brown
And there are tons of other options so don’t hesitate to ask us about cabinets! No matter your decision, we will make sure your cabinetry has a profile that’s cleanable, durable, and long-lasting.
Can’t forget the knobs! When it comes to custom cabinetry, we can turn just about anything into a knob. Below we have a few of the most to think about. With each of these, color is also a variation you should keep in mind! Color can be determined by the material type or a .
- Traditional circular knobs
- Traditional medium pull knobs
- Long tubular bars
- Long square bars
- Pulls with exposed screws
- Glass knobs
- Wire pulls
6.) Matching It
Custom cabinets are beautiful alone, but that beauty is only complimented when it matches everything else. Whether it’s decor, wall colors, or a custom granite countertop, there’s a lot of variation in how you can design your home.
Here we have a list of possible add ons and general items that you can think about while planning out your custom cabinets! This is more of a check-off list, as we want to make sure you’ve thought about these things in conjunction with your custom cabinets.
- Custom countertops
- Countertop color
- Appliance colors
- Chairs and sofas
- Coffee tables
- Custom desk
- Windows (natural light)
- Artificial light
Ready for Custom Cabinets?
We hope this custom cabinet designing experience has given you a few ideas! When you’re interested in having your dream cabinets built, feel free to reach out and contact us online or by phone at (517) 449-9400. As custom cabinet makers in the Greater Lansing area, we love any challenge or design idea! For more of our content, swing over to our blog page!